Re: Problems installing Woody from Hard Disk using GRUB

On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 01:36:10PM +0100, Frank Murphy wrote:

>   I wanted to install Sarge on an empty partition in my machine that I have
> booting with GRUB. So I decided to start by installing Woody. I tried
> following the Installation directions for booting from LILO, but modifying
> them for Grub. (I failed and ended up installing from floppies.)
>
>   What is wrong with the following setup for Grub? I always ended up with
> problems booting from hda5, which is not a partition on my system. (hda1 is
> windows, hda2 is swap, hda3 is going to be Sarge, and hda4 is Woody.)
>
> Here's my Grub config:
>
> title Woody install
> kernel (hd0,3)/boot/newinstall/linux-2.4.bin
> initrd (hd0,3)/boot/newinstall/root-2.4.bin
>
> Any ideas as to why this doesn't work? I end up with a kernel panic because
> the root filesystem can't be mounted.
>
> Frank

     Have you tried telling the kernel where the root device is?

      kernel (hd0,3)/boot/newinstall/linux-2.4.bin root=/dev/hda4

      Or go the grub command line and see if you can't boot by hand.
      The ability to get to a command line when having boot problems is
      the reason I use grub.

      ~Michael