Re: Secure browsing across insecure LAN

hi ya

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003, Elie De Brauwer wrote:

> I think the most easiest way is to open aan SSH connection to your home,
> enable X11 forwarding en export your browser window to your workplace, this
> is the easiest way but may consume a little more bandwidth.

i presume the corp IT dept know better...  to disallow such activities
and all other non-essential (insecure) home networks from connecting to a
secure corp lan
and conversely, am sure you dont wnat your home PCs to show up as a
clickable icon on all of the user's windoze/linux PCs at work

- talk to your manager/firewall admin/it dept/ etc..etc

- if you'/re the IT manager trying to experiment and get your home
  pc to browse your corp lan...
	- hire a security it guy to come in and set it all up
	and blame him/her for any security breaches ..:-)
	( that's what outsiders are good for  :-)

- you cannot "privately" navigate w/o being noticed/seen/tracked
  because you are using the same "copper wire" as the rest of the people

- assuming you want your one PC at home to be seen at your PC at work..
  ssh is probably simplest/best ... but its NOT private...
  and do need to be able to clear/pass thru the firewalls

- if you require private connections.. you would need to install
  a ppp or dsl line at work for you to connect to it from home
	- and a 2nd nic port on your pc at work

- what do you mean by "privately"

c ya
alvin