Permissions on source package

I downloaded a souce package that I need to modify, build and install.

The owner and group were preserved on the source files so that means when
I try to do some operations I see, for example:

moseley@bumby:~/libdvdread2-0.9.3/dvdread$ touch dvd_reader.c
touch: creating `dvd_reader.c': Permission denied

moseley@bumby:~/libdvdread2-0.9.3/dvdread$ ls -l !$
ls -l dvd_reader.c
-rw-rw-r--    1 6581     30099       26332 May 19  2002 dvd_reader.c

I think this is a basic unix permissions confusion on my part.

$ chown moseley ~/libdvdread2-0.9.3
chown: changing ownership of `/home/moseley/libdvdread2-0.9.3': Operation
not permitted

Did I miss a step in downloading the source package?

--
Bill Moseley moseley@hank.org