Re: xdmcp and gdm -- missing something ?

J.F.Gratton wrote:
Hello all,

I have two computers (networked, 'f course) both with the same setup,
gdm + gnome 2.2 latest versions (I apt-get dist-upgrade every day on the
unstable branch).

The way I understood the Chooser is that I'd be able to get the gdm
login screen of PC #2 on PC #1 .
I've found an (outdated) xdmcp howto, but it mixed gdm, kdm and xdm in
the same howto, and the end result is that I' don't get that expected
result.

Is there anyone kind enough to explain what to do (if it IS possible, in
the first place !), which config files to modify, etc ?

Many, many thanks !

Jeff

I am using the GDM from Woody (GNOME 1.4??) exclusively on my 5-computer LAN, and can do what you are trying to do between all 5 computers. Maybe the outline of my changes will help you figure out your problem. BTW, you should make the changes on all computers you want to use xdmcp.

1. Changing X to do xdmcp: You have to edit the /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc file and remove the "- nolisten tcp" at the end of the line. Dunno if this is needed for GDM or not, but it definately is needed for XDM.

2.  Changing GDM for xdmcp: (Note:  All edits are on /etc/gdm/gdm.conf)

a. In the [xdmcp] section set "Enable = true". All other default options were OK.

b. In either the [server-Standard] or [server] section (I forget which one had it) remove the "-nolisten tcp" part. Leave the rest of the line as it is.

3. When starting up the chooser, I have to manually start a new X session by going to a terminal (ctrl-alt-F1), logging in as root, and typing in the following line: "X :1 vt8 -indirect legolas". (legolas is one of my computers setup to use xdmcp and honor indirect queries... you should substitute one of your computer's names here).

This will start a new X session and bring up the chooser screen. You can go back to your original screen by doing a ctrl-alt-F7. You now can switch between session :0 (vt7) and session :1 (vt8) with ctrl-alt-F7 and ctrl-alt-F8.

There should be some way to automate this, but I haven't figured it out yet. I am still experimenting....

HTH,

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-