Re: avi to free format

On Sat, 15 Feb 2003 13:06:34 +0100,
Rudy Gevaert wrote:
> Somebody send me a avi film but I would like to change it into
> a free (as in free speech) format.  What format should I use
> and what packages should I intall?

The freest format is probably mpeg 1. There are few audio and
video codecs that are as free as .html. Ogg does it for the audio
side of things. And .ogm is a free container for .ogg audio and
your video codec of choice. DivX (a.k.a MP4) is IMHO a reasonably
free format (probably as free as Adobe's PostScript).