RE: Compiling kernel source

>>> On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 02:12:35PM -0500, David Turetsky wrote:

   Following your instructions, I edited lilo.conf and commented out the
   4 lines about image=/vmlinuz.old, which appeared with the new
   image=/vmlinux entries, then ran lilo. Same problem. Rebooted. Same
   problem. Ran tar, configure, make, make install again as su on the
   PCTel package. Same problem

   BTW, continuing my elementary education, how would you otherwise "fix
   the symlink"

>>> Sean Finney replied:

   well i'm not sure if you've done it already, but what i meant was
make
   sure that it's pointing at what you think it's pointing at (i.e.: ls
-l).
   if it isn't, do

   ln -sf /boot/vmlinuz-<yourversionhere> /vmlinuz

   in lilo.conf, you should have an image=/vmlinuz (or /boot/vmlinuz)
   which points to this symlink.  also, you don't want to comment out
the
   vmlinuz.old entries, they point to the second-most-recent kernel, in
   the case that you find yourself booting with an unbootable kernel.

   hth
   sean

>>> David responded:

   Well, I'm not sure if what you think I think it's pointing at (what I
   think is 'nothing') is what you think it oughta point at, so I ran:

   ln -sf /boot/vmlinuz-Linux /vmlinuz, which is taken from the line in
   lilo.conf following image=/vmlinuz, and which reads in its
   entirety, 'label=Linux'

   and uncommented the four lines in lilo.conf

   Is that what you had in mind, or rather should I have put something
   which includes the results of uname -r

   If you would provide an example of <yourversionher> that would remove
   any ambiguity and just leave me with a generalized fog!

   Hopefully,