Re: Galeon AND Mozilla!

On Sat, 2003-02-15 at 15:03, Narins, Josh wrote:
> I use Galeon or Mozilla.
> I was in the train station.
> I booted my laptop.
> I used Galeon.
> I got on the train...
>
> Galeon:
> On starting Galeon I see the standard "last time bombed"
> I click discard last session.
> Galeon starts making new windows at the rate of 2 per second, ad
> infinitum(?)
> Clicking X to close the windows, as fast as I can, _sometimes_ stops it.
> Trying to enter an URL in the one remaining window has the same result
> (many, many windows)
>
> Mozilla:
> CPU usage goes to 99% for a while, then it quits.
>
> Now, I did NO updates between when it worked and when it did not, so it can
> not be a bug. :(
> (Galeon has no open bugs like I describe)
>
> Is it a key that is stuck down?
>
> I am very sad.
>
> -Josh
>
> P.S. I did not have net access on the train, was planning to work on my own
> website. Lynx worked.

> This message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the designated recipient(s) named above.  If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.  This communication is for information purposes only and should not be regarded as an offer to sell or as a solicitation of an offer to buy any financial product, an official confirmation of any transaction, or as an official statement of Lehman Brothers.  Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free.  Therefore, we do not represent that this information is complete or accurate and it should not be relied upon as such.  All information is subject to change without notice.

If I was handling this on a support phoneline, I'd start with questions
about which train it was, what direction, which side of the aisle, aisle
or window seat, you get the idea. Find the "Any" key ;)

Galeon is one of a handful of Gnome applications that seems to be prone
to looping at creation of new windows. Most of Gnome doesn't do that,
and most of those that have been prone to that have stopped, but I keep
seeing this mentioned enough around Galeon (including in the last couple
of weeks) that it sounds like they haven't *polished* that point up yet.

Usual solution is to rename the ~/.galeon directory - likely something
is corrupted in it from a previous crash.

Mozilla driving the CPU to 99% would be something different - any of a
number of things can do that. How long is "a while" and do you get
anything like a window opening for Mozilla?

authoratatively solve any and all problems raised, but rather to share
from what we have been able to get working. This message in no way
should be construed as an evaluation of or interaction on behalf of
Software in the Public Interest, Inc., The Debian Project, Gnome, The
Free Software Foundation or Mozilla, or ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting,
nor should it be assessed as a solicitation or offer for the services of
any named entity or others. Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to
be secure or error-free, although I do try to keep it spam and virus
free on my end. All errors are subject to happen as per Murphy's Law.
Don't you love overly wrought signature blocks?
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org