Re: basic firewall question

* Roberto Sanchez (sanchezr@hotmail.com) [030215 12:51]:

> I am planning on getting DSL in the near future, so I have been considering
> what to do about a firewall.
>
> My intended setup is like this:
>
> www -> DSL modem -> cable/DSL router w/ hardware FW -> small LAN
>
> However, I would still like to have a firewall on each individual machine.
> I downloaded firestarter on one machine and played around with it some.
> But I'm not sure if that is the best tool.  I basically want to block all
> incoming traffic except for SSH and DHCP (so I can get an IP address from
> the router).  This setup seemed pretty easy with the little wizard that is
> included.  I also need to be able to print across my local network.
>
> I tried out several services (telnet, ftp, and http) and it blocked those
> requests, but I am not sure how indicative that is of the security level.
> I also tried ssh and that worked fine.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.

Generally speaking, for a home user, being behind a NAT/firewall (the
DSL router in your case) is sufficient.  Taking the extra step of a
firewall on each machine is fine, though.  In order to see what is
really going on, I'd suggest looking at the output of 'iptables -nvL',
and asking for help interpreting it if you don't fully understand.

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/