basic firewall question

I am planning on getting DSL in the near future, so I have been considering what to do about a firewall.

My intended setup is like this:

www -> DSL modem -> cable/DSL router w/ hardware FW -> small LAN

However, I would still like to have a firewall on each individual machine. I downloaded firestarter on one machine and played around with it some. But I'm not sure if that is the best tool. I basically want to block all incoming traffic except for SSH and DHCP (so I can get an IP address from the router). This setup seemed pretty easy with the little wizard that is included. I also need to be able to print across my local network.

I tried out several services (telnet, ftp, and http) and it blocked those requests, but I am not sure how indicative that is of the security level. I also tried ssh and that worked fine.

Any advice would be appreciated.

-Roberto Sanchez