Re: where would I ask...

GSO wrote:
Where would I ask if anyone has any linux hardware to sell - need a parallel port scanner (UK).

GSO

I don't think anyone makes a Linux-only parallel port scanner. You will probably have to get one of the standard scanners made for other OSes and make it work under Linux. The SANE package supports a wide range of scanners.

Your best bet is to go the the SANE homepage and browse through the list of supported scanners and pick one that uses "parport" if you specifically want a parallel port scanner. I happen to have one up & running here... a HP 3200C (relabled UMAX 1220). The SANE homepage is:
http://www.mostang.com/sane/sane-backends.html

FWIW, I would advise against going the parallel port route. The SANE program supports many other scanners that use the SCSI or USB ports, which will probably be a bit more satisfactory to you. The parallel port is slow, IMHO.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-