Re: Sid & KDE 3.1

On Sat, 2003-02-15 at 06:08, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 05:23:07AM -0500, Mark L. Kahnt wrote:
> > As your message was being sent, I was logging into a fresh upgrade to
> > KDE 3.1 from Sid. Some things are missing at present - apparently kmail,
> > korn and knode aren't available yet, but otherwise, it looks like the
> > preponderance is there now - definitely more than enough for me to use
> > it viably with better stability than I'd experienced with KDE 2.2
>
> http://packages.debian.org/unstable/x11/kde.html
> I'm holding out for things to get fixed.

I'd actually suspect that what you are looking at there in terms of
unavailable items are packages that on Sid are no longer compatible with
the KDE 2.2 system, as the KDE package is a meta-package for 2.2 still.
That said, if I run KDE more than once every 2-3 months, it is because
I've borked Gnome to the point that I can't get it running (which
happened for a week during the 1.4=>2.0 migration.)

> > I still *personally* prefer the Gnome look and feel, but the seg faults
> > I got with a couple of applications that I was just looking at *trying*
> > appear to be long gone. Essentially, while I haven't *fully* stress
> > tested KDE 3.1 from Sid, it does seem steady so far.
>
> I gave up on Gnome when I got tired of it feeling rougher around the
> edges than AfterStep, and Nautilus just giving up without good reason
> dozens of times in a row.

I'd tried NeXTStep years ago, and while I respect AfterStep and
WindowMaker, they lack a bit of the feel to be the same (although for
most users, that might be a *good* thing.) I've mentioned on this list
before, however, that I overload my Gnome Panels with applets,
monitoring the system and accessing internal and external resources
constantly. Some duplicate GKrellm, but others are largely only
available on WindowMaker or Gnome Panel.

That and I work things hard enough with Gnome that I can generate bug
reports when necessary - the price for drawing on Testing and Unstable
;) I don't currently use the other window managers enough to be in the
same position. Gnome and KDE are newer code on a more complex design
structure than is the case for a window manager separate of integrated
applications, so in the development process (which both are largely
still in,) there are still spots of roughness.

As to Nautilus, it has been rather solid for me here since about a month
after Eazel folded (I salute the programming effort, but I think they
proved to be pursuing overly complex designs for what they proved able
to implement in the limited life of the company.) Although I miss the
integrated Find function since Nautilus 2.0, other than a couple of
quirks during migration (loss of icons when moving to Gnome-wide icon
themes, for instance,) it is comparable in stability to Konqueror from
KDE 2.2 and several steps ahead of IE as a file manager. It isn't
reliably there as a browser, because I seem to rarely have luck getting
an html plug-in other than gtkhtml to work with it, and gtkhtml tends to
be a "good enough" rather than "rock solid" solution.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org