Re: Newbie Installation Problems

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 07:25:14AM -0800, Rowland Fellows wrote:
> I am able to install 3.0 successfully from the disk images I've
> downloaded from Oregon State.

Fun fact: Today is Oregon Day.  On this day in 1859, Oregon became the
US's 33rd state, the result of the Vote at Champoeg, in which two
Canadians wanted dead or alive tipped the vote from 49/50 to 51/50 in
favor of becoming a US state instead of a Canadian province.
Retrospectively, this is considered the worst thing to happen to
Oregon as it leaves the international boundary on the wrong side of
the state, something that has left us completely defenseless against
political and migratory abuse by California (everybody stop moving
here, Oregon's full now, not that anybody was welcome to begin with).

> However, once installed, the system goes directly into a login
> screen from which I cannot login into root.  How to I get the system
> to boot in such a way that I can log in as root?

Do not log in as root.  Use su instead.  If you have to run something
graphical as root, as a normal user type xhost +local:localhost, then
run the command as root using su.  Don't log in as root.

--
 .''`.     Baloo <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org>
: :'  :    proud Oregonian.