flash, shockwave, and quicktime; and web browser incompatibilities

As a science teacher, I built a four machine GNU/Linux network.  The
biggest headache from the getgo (through all years, in fact of using
GNU/Linux exclusively) has been incompatibilities with web sites.

It seems to me an immorality for scientists to build web sites on
proprietary formats; but that's what's happening.

I seek advice on dealing with the formats mentioned, as well as
others.  I teach Advanced Placement (AP) Biology.  I cannot tell my
students, anymore, to forego such websites.

For all the progress that's been made in the Free Software world, this
one lags along behind.  Science content CD's also use proprietary
formats.

We are also planning to join a microscope facility for a telepresence
microscope project.  I'd like to be able to join without putting the
guy through changes.

Can someone direct me to some websites and discussion groups dealing
with these issues?  On SEUL/Edu I am over my head.

Thanks for ANY comments.

Alan Davis
Marianas High School
Saipan

--
adavis@saipan.com                                     1-670-322-6580
    Alan E. Davis,  PMB 30, Box 10006, Saipan, MP 96950-8906, CNMI

I have steadily endeavored to keep my mind free, so as to give up any
hypothesis, however much beloved -- and I cannot resist forming one
on every subject -- as soon as facts are shown to be opposed to it.
                                  -- Charles Darwin (1809-1882)

The right to search for truth implies also a duty; one must not
conceal any part of what one has recognized to be true.
                                  -- Albert Einstein

As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others we should
be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of
ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
                                  -- Benjamin Franklin