RE: Emacs Key Bindings

Try:

(add-hook 'paragraph-indent-text-mode-hook
  (lambda ()
    (local-set-key "\t" `tab-to-tab-stop)))

It looks like you incorrectly copied someone who did the equally valid:

(defun my-paragraph-indent-text-mode-hook ()
 (set-blah blah))

(add-hook 'paragraph-indent-text-mode-hook
        'my-paragraph-indent-text-mode-hook)

This latter techinque is a bit better since you can use your hook later if
you need it in a different mode. It also makes it easier to tweak things
without restarting emacs, since then you just need to redefine the function
rather than trying to replace your lambda in the hook list.

Happy trails.

Charlie.