kde package dependencies broken (kde relies on everything?)

hi,

recently I tried to remove some of the excess software on my system, so
I tried removing stuff like koffice, or kate, or kedit, ksysv, kcron,
everything that doesn't look like it is needed for operating kde, even
kde-base-doc. kde is dependent on all of them. Is this a bug? I can't
believe that if you want kde, you immediately need all these packages.
The only one I've been able to remove so far is kdm, which seems even
more strange. You can remove kdm but not kedit. Where's the logic? Any
ideas, hints, suggestions?

thx,
Wim