Re: /cdrom -vs- /dev/hdc

-- Pigeon <jah.pigeon@ukonline.co.uk> wrote
(on Thursday, 13 February 2003, 03:51 PM +0000):
> On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 09:27:47PM -0500, Seneca wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 06:46:37PM -0500, Bruce Park wrote:
> > >  I'm having some trouble loading my audio cd through /cdrom directory.
> > > Before I start talking about the problem, here are the files that are of
> > > use to this problem.
> > [...]
> > >  I can actually load audio files through /dev/hdc and /dev/cdrom but I
> > > cannot load them through /cdrom. I can mount and run data cds perfectly
> > > through /cdrom but the audio files don't show up there for some reason.
> > >  Does anyone have an idea why this doesn't work? I'm looking to solve this
> > > problem rather than to ignore it and use /dev/hdc or /dev/cdrom to load
> > > audio files. Any help or suggestion is greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Data disks generally have a file system, while audio disks generally
> > don't.  You need a file system to mount the disk.  You can get a list of
> > tracks that are on a disk using a package like cdcd (on the command
> > line, "cdcd tracks").

<snip -- info on how to read raw data from unspecified filesystems>

> In Windoze, you can get a (very buggy) patched DLL that turns audio
> tracks into regular files, so you can rip tracks simply by copying the
> files, etc. Surely there must be some way to get the same functionality
> in Linux? cddafs.o?

Okay, what with trading emails with Bruce and following this thread, I
think I better understand what you all are asking. And I *have* heard of
a way to do this -- my understanding is that konqueror has some such
facility for browsing the tracks on an audio CD. I haven't done it, so
you'll have to investigate yourself, or ask others on the list.

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew@weierophinney.net