Re: [Fwd: network problem: configuration/DNS? cannot access internal machine using our external IP

Jerome Lacoste (Frisurf) said on Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 10:13:09AM +0100:
> I have this network configuration

> Internet
>    | (EXT-IP)
> ** R ** (Firewall)
>    | (192.168.1.1)
> ___|___
> | | | |
> M S M M
>

> E: external machine
> R: router firewall for our intranet
> S: internal server running Linux (in fact it runs Mandrake 9.0)
> M: internal machines

What is R?  Routerbox, Linux box being a router...?

> Thus doing a ping EXT-IP or wget EXT-IP ends up with a timeout.

So you're blocking all ICMP at your router?  That's not a good idea: you
should rate limit ping (to say 5/sec), and allow many of the other ones.
ICMP is necessary for IP to function properly.

> If I am in my internal network:
>
> > ssh login@192.168.1.9     works
> > ssh login@xxx.dyndns.org  fails
> > ssh login@EXT-IP          fails

Sounds like your router isn't allowing DNS packets to go from behind
your internal network to your nameservers.  In addition, it sounds like
your router/firewall is blocking ssh traffic from your internal network
to your external IP.

> >From a windows machine, pring and tracert to EXT-IP work.
> >From any Linux machine on my network (M), I can ping my EXT-IP, but
> cannot traceroute it.

traceroute on Linux works differently than tracert on Windows.  By
default, traceroute on Linux uses UDP packets, while tracert on Windows
uses ICMP.  Try traceroute -I from your Linux boxes, and see if that
works.

> Now I am out of ideas.
> So if anybody can tell me why I cannot make a traceroute on linux or an
> ssh to my external ip from within my network, I would be happy.

Can you tell us what your router is?  That might help.  Are you sure
that your router is configured to NAT your internal network properly?