Re: Windows XP to Woody/Cups Printer? How?

Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> -SNIP- <
Option 2)
    Use the CUPS thin-client architecture, letting the driver on the
    debian system control specifically how the result will appear.  To
    do this change the driver on the Windows client to one that
    generates data CUPS knows how to handle.  For example, I often use
    the "HP Laserjet IIIp Postscript" driver to make windows generate
    postscript which cups then converts to PCL (for my printer).
    Since my printer(s) are B&W only this works well.  Unfortunately
    that windows driver converts color to grayscale, thus you won't
    want to use that driver for a color printer.  The last time I
    tried with the HP ColorLaserjet Postscript driver the postcript
    windows generated was really weird.  CUPS didn't find any pages to
    print, but 'gv' would render it correctly.  If I used gv to
    regenerate the postscript (by printing marked pages) it would
    work.  If you try this option, let us know which printer model to
    pick to get functional postscript with color from windows.

HTH,
-D

I have had good luck on both B&W and Color printing from a WinME box via Samba to my LAN printer (CUPS) by using the "generic" Windows Poscript Printer driver available from Adobe. It is a free download. It seems to handle Color OK for me.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-