Re: Windows XP to Woody/Cups Printer? How?

On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 12:17:00PM -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 02:27:02PM -0500, Thomas H. George,,, wrote:
> | Main computer is Debian Woody, 2.4.18 kernel connected through a Linksys
> | Wireless Point Router to a DSL modem.  Printer is HP Deskjet 940c
> | installed with CUPS.  KDE System print manager says its URI is
> | ipp://Phoenix:631/printers/lp.  (Phoenix has nothing to do with software
> | of that name; I named the computer Phoenix because I have rebuilt it so
> | many times.)
> |
> | Laptop (my grandson's, not mine, with his homework paper) is an IBM
> | Thinkpad, Windows XP with an Actiontec Wireless USB Adapter.  Windows XP
> | Add Printer cannot find the Phoenix printer though it has no trouble
> | connecting to the internet through the Router.
> |
> | If I reboot the main computer to Windows 98 (which I hate to do) the
> | laptop can find the printer.  How can I persuade it to find the Debian
> | system?
>
> AFAIK WinXP doesn't like old-school MS 'share-level shares'.  Win98
> hardly knows anything other than that, so it doesn't have a problem.
> You might need to set up samba (on the debian machine) more like an
> NT/2k domain controller for XP to interact with it via SMB.
>
> However, I've heard rumors that Win2k and WinXP support IPP.  If so,
> you can ditch legacy MS vices and use an open standard instead.  From
> what I've heard, when/where windows asks for the path/url to the
> printer, specify http://Phoenix:631/printers/lp.  Then it should use
> TCP/IP for transport and network (in place of SMB) and HTTP/IPP for
> the actual printer access.  If this works, please post any relevant
> details others should know to set that up.
>
> HTH,
> -D

No definitive answer for a few days; laptop went to school with my
grandson.

WinXP does offer the option to add a network printer by specifying
http://Phoenix:631/printers/lp.  When I tried it, XP could not find the
printer BUT when I next downloaded samba XP couldn't find the computer
until I told samba workgroup=PHOENIX and even then could not find the
printer.  I know XP is now communicating with Phoenix because of the
messages in /var/log/samba/log.phoenix.  There is also now a log.wimp
but it is empty.  wimp is the XP's name.

I have not mastered the samba setup - users, passwords, encryption,
printers, etc.  I thought it should be a simple matter of making the
printer available to all guests but wimp demands a user name and
passwork before it will look for the printer.  It can't be root as that,
properly, is blocked in smb.conf. Naturally I tried my normal user name
but log.phoenix shows this was refused.  When wimp comes back from
school I'll try again to sort this out.