Re: Samba shared directory

Quoting Keith O'Connell <kroc@blueyonder.co.uk>:

> Hi,
>
> I currently serve three WinXP machines with their home directories and a
> read only archive directory. this all works fine. I want to supply a
> communal directory that everyone can read and write to. I thought it
> would be straight forward, but it hasn't been and I do not know why.
>
> I created a directory \mnt\store\pub\everyone and made it 777.
>
> I added the following to samba.conf
>
> 	[share]
> 	   comment		= Shared
> 	   guest ok		= yes
> 	   writable		= yes
> 	   create mask		= 777
> 	   directory mask	= 777
> 	   force user		= root
> 	   force group		= root
> 	   map archive		= yes
> 	   map system		= yes
> 	   map hidden		= yes
> 	   locking		= no
> 	   path			= /mnt/store/pub/everyone
> 	   public		= yes
>
> The didectory appears on the Windows machine, but Windows users have no
> access. What is the most likely thing I have got wrong? Anyone help.

Hi,
I wonder if your "force" user and group to root is causing your problem.
Samba thinks that only root can access this share. Do you have a smbpasswd
entry for root? You probably shouldn't.
Check your samba logs and run # testparm for more help.

Also, you may want to consider using the sticky bit for a public writeable
directory.

hth,
Cheers,
Mike