Re: Broken Symbolic Links in /etc/alternatives

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 08:49:17PM +0100, Yuhanes Tjandra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just removed and purged emacs21 and emacsen-common since I didn't use
> it. Looking at the folder /etc/alternatives, I find out that there is
> broken symbolic link which is linked emacs21.
>
> Is that a normal behaviour that symbolic links in this folder aren't
> removed although the packages are already removed and purged?

I wouldn't consider it normal, but they do happen often enough, it seems.

> If not, is there any tools to search and remove the broken symbolic
> links?

Sure.  As root, simply change to that directory and type
	rm <name of link>
since the link is a pointer to a file.

I cannot address whether some cleanup needs to be done using
update-alternatives, though.  You need a guru to answer that one, for which
I certainly don't qualify.

HTH,

Kenward
--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,