Re: /cdrom directory

"Bruce Park" <bpark79@hotmail.com> writes:
>   I'm having some difficulty regarding accessing an audio cdrom
>   through /cdrom directory.

"You don't."  Audio CDs don't have filesystems (typically), and so
there's no way to mount them.

>   Currently, I can access the audio cd through /dev/cdrom. Here are
>   some info about the files.

What are you really trying to do?

> Data cds mount to /cdrom withouth any problem. Of course I'm not
> trying to mount audio cds but I was able to go to /cdrom using xmms
> and play the appropriate files.

"xmms is special that way."  If you're trying to get the audio data
off of the CD, you need a separate program to do that; cdparanoia is
the canonical command-line tool.

Frequently people who want to do this actually want to produced
compressed audio files; I generally use 'abcde' to produce Ogg Vorbis
files from my CDs.  I think the Debian abcde package depends on
everything you need to do this.  (It can also be adapted to use
certain patent-encumbered formats that you might need if you have a
portable audio player, but you need to come up with your own encoder.)

	-- Abra Mitchell