Re: SCSI emulation

-- Jeff Elkins <jeffelkins@earthlink.net> wrote
(on Wednesday, 12 February 2003, 12:28 PM +0100):
> I'm using SCSI emulation for my cd writer via the kernel options and
> append="hdd=ide-scsi" in lilo.conf.
>
> When running redhat, cdrom1 is actually a link to /dev/scd0. When I try that
> under debian, mount attempts result in invalid block device. I've tried scd1,
> sr0, etc, w/o luck.

Try looking at your /var/log/syslog -- use this:
    #grep "scsi CD-ROM" syslog

and it *should* tell you to which device it has attached:

Feb 12 14:14:03 kavalier kernel: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0

Of course, now that I look at this... I'm realizing that these are
reported *after* I mount the device...

Do you have any other scsi devices loaded? You say that you *can* write
cds with the drive -- what scsibus, channel, id, and lun are reported by
cdrecord? Do you get any errors generated by ide-scsi?

> I am able to write cds with cdrecord, just can't mount them with this drive.

Been there :-( Hopefully this will help!

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew@weierophinney.net