Re: help starting x please

If you're new to Linux and would like to begin using a Debian-based
distribution I'd recommend starting with Xandros. It has an excellent
installer which should recognize your nvidia hardware and install the
drivers for it (it did so on my laptop, to my great surprise).

Once Xandros is installed and working you can update your system either
from Xandros packages or directly from Debian -- Xandros is completely
Debian-compatible.

Otherwise you need to get the proprietary closed-source drivers from
www.nvidia.com and follow *exactly* the instructions. It's not really
difficult but it's a lot of stuff for someone new to Linux.

Kevin