Re: dpkg inconsistency

Colin Watson wrote:

>On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 11:29:43AM +0100, Florian Sukup wrote:
>> Does apt-get provide a feature like a history file? I would like to keep
>> track what I installed at a certain time.
[...]
>You could always write a trivial script to do this yourself.

In the spirit of "don't re-invent the wheel" this is what I use:

#!/bin/sh

# Written by Larry Holish, ljholish@speakeasy.net
# As customized by Gary Turner for his own use

# Script that writes current list of packages installed
# from /var/lib/dpkg/available to pkgs_woody.current.
# Keeps a history of changes between package versions
# in woody_history.txt.

LISTDIR=/home/gt/debian		# match to your path to storage
									# files
cd $LISTDIR

if [ -f 'woody_history.txt.gz' ]; then
        gunzip woody_history.txt.gz
fi

if [ -f 'pkgs_woody.current' ]; then
        mv pkgs_woody.current pkgs_woody.last
fi

COLUMNS=120 dpkg -l | grep "^i" | cut -b 5- > pkgs_woody.current

diff -C 0 pkgs_woody.last pkgs_woody.current >> woody_history.txt

gzip woody_history.txt
rm -f pkgs_woody.last

# EOF

--