Re: dpkg inconsistency

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 11:35:49AM +0100, Florian Sukup wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've done a really stupid thing:
>
> I tried to install&compile some stuff for the kernel which failed.
>
> I made a dump before that, which I restored to make my system running
> again.
>
> But I forgot to dump & restore the /var parition.
>
> Therefore data in /var/lib/dpkg are not consistent with the rest of the
> system.
>
> What can I do here? Is there a command which makes dpkg building its
> database from the installed system?
>
> Thank you in advance for help!!!
> Florian.

There should be backup files of dpkg's "status" file in /var/backups.

If you don't have any backup files of status, this thread in archives
discusses a method for recreating it. The script in the first message
contains and error, so read subsequent messages also.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2003/debian-user-200301/msg03647.html

--
Jerome