Re: Setting up Courier-IMAP at Home

Quoting David Raeker-Jordan <rkrjrdn@epix.net>:
> I have several computers at home, some of which are dual boot. I want to use
> courier-imap on a server at my house so that I can always access all of my
> mail, no matter which computer or OS I am using.
>
> Currently, I use fetchmail to get my email from my ISP. Fetchmail passes the
> mail to procmail, which uses a few rules and spamassasin to sort the mail
> into folders. I use exim, but I am afraid I am a bit fuzzy as to
> its role in delivering incoming mail. Does procmail pass the mail to exim,
> or does procmail deliver the mail it sorts?

Procmail delivers the mail it sorts.  It can accept mail directly from
fetchmail or fetchmail can hand the mail to exim.  And exim hands it
to procmail.

> If I add courier-imap to the above system, I am not sure what changes I need
> to make. I think that fetchmail would stay the same. I think that I need to
> change my procmailrc to send the mail to ~/Maildir instead of the folders
> under ~/mail (mbox) that I am currently using? And I know that exim.conf
> needs to be changed, but I am not sure of all of the changes.

Yes you need to switch from mbox to maildir folders.  No changes to
exim are necessary.  Installation of courier-imap is straight foreward
for users that have accounts on the mail server box.  If you don't
have any hostile users, this is the easiest.  Just create Linux users
for everybody and follow the directions in the courier-imap package.

HTH,
  Jeffrey