Re: More detailed post ...

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 03:58:43PM -0500, jereme wrote:
> Hi Pigeon,
>
> [snips:]
>
> Pigeon <jah.pigeon@ukonline.co.uk> writes:
> > On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 10:19:16PM -0500, jereme wrote:
> > >
> > > That is like telling me to build a fence so your dog doesn't crap on
> > > my lawn...
> >
> > If your dog crapped on my lawn, I'd rather build a fence than bitch at
> > you about it. In fact, that would stop everybody's dog crapping on my
> > lawn, and achieve that without the need to bitch at anybody.
> >
> > (Aargh, just noticed, dog, bitch, that was unintentional.)
>
> I liked the pun :)
>
> ...but my point was simply this, when the OP was chastised for the
> duplicate mails he produced, his suggestion was that people who didn't
> want the dupes should filter them on their end, rather than he himself
> going to the trouble of not produce them in the first place.  I think
> it is a simple question of responsibility.  Yes any competent user
> could filter locally but why not just not produce them in the first
> place?  Perhaps I am missing something?  I am always open to
> reevaluation.

Well, I think there is validity on both sides. List etiquette varies -
I am on another list where CCing and top-posting are both common, so I
have to deal with both conventions. I prefer the debian-user style,
but nevertheless have to build my own fence since it would be
pointless to rant about CCing on a list where everyone accepts it.
Your point holds more strongly in the case of people who are only on
debian-user-style lists.

At the end of the day, I'm not really too bothered one way or the
other... it's not half such a downer as the 100k spams containing
Microsoft viruses that make it onto the list and eat dialup bandwidth!

Pigeon