Re: Not understanding pdflatex

Gary Turner wrote:

It is interesting to note that gv and xpdf render Type3 fonts very
nicely while Acroread looks like crap.  Regardless of how they look on
screen, printed docs will look fine.

See /usr/share/doc/texmf/tetex/TETEXDOC.pdf.gz  There are a few words
about this.  Basically, Acroread barfs of Type3 (bitmap) fonts.  There
was a recent thread here on how to get Type1 fonts.  I tried and found
this set of instructions to work.  Do

[la]tex sample
dvips -Ppdf sample
ps2pdf sample.ps

This should yield a pdf file that Acroread can render nicely.

Really? It usually comes out looking pretty awful if you ask me when looked at with Acroread. I've had much more success with:

texi2pdf sample.tex

This seems to compile rather than convert (no surprise really). It also generates smaller pdf files than ps2pdf or dvipdf, which generates just as ugly pdfs, at least where Acroread is concerned. Compare the following in Acroread:

http://members.rogers.com/dpjames/debian/assign01ps.pdf
http://members.rogers.com/dpjames/debian/assign01dvi.pdf
http://members.rogers.com/dpjames/debian/assign01tex.pdf

Same original source file but the first went through what you did above, the second one step less and the third still one less step, using texi2pdf.

The original assignment, btw, was also generated on the professor's Debian box and I suspect she used texi2pdf as well:
http://www.econ.queensu.ca/pub/faculty/lapham/426/hw/hw142603.pdf

--
David P. James
4th Year Economics Student

The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe.
-Dr. Leonard McCoy, Star Trek IV