Re: Not understanding pdflatex

Joerg Johannes wrote:

>For some time I am struggling with pdflatex. Today's update of tetex resolved
>the major problem I had (Acroread could not process the pdf files), but now
>it is getting weird.
>If I run pdflatex on a document, the "normal" font is shown very fuzzy (Yes,
>various mails in the archives talk about bitmap fonts, but pdflatex normally
>should use the vector fonts, not?), while the sections in math mode are just
>perfect. I don't understand it, because it is the same font family, only the
>"normal" font is fuzzy, the "mathsf" and even "mathrm" are displayed fine.
>Should not at least "mathrm" be identical with \normalfont?
>Any idea?

It is interesting to note that gv and xpdf render Type3 fonts very
nicely while Acroread looks like crap.  Regardless of how they look on
screen, printed docs will look fine.

See /usr/share/doc/texmf/tetex/TETEXDOC.pdf.gz  There are a few words
about this.  Basically, Acroread barfs of Type3 (bitmap) fonts.  There
was a recent thread here on how to get Type1 fonts.  I tried and found
this set of instructions to work.  Do

[la]tex sample
dvips -Ppdf sample
ps2pdf sample.ps

This should yield a pdf file that Acroread can render nicely.

--
gt                  kk5st@sbcglobal.net
 If someone tells you---