Re: Netgear EA201C isa nic - compatable or not

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 10:50:18AM -0500, Jason M. Harvey wrote:

| just trying to find out of a netgear EA201C 10-base isa nic might work.

Yes.  I have two of them in the 486 I use as a router.  Just keep an
MS-DOS boot disk handy.

Snippets from `dmesg` :
    Kernel command line: root=/dev/hda1 read-only ether=11,0x300,eth0
        ether=15,0x320,eth1 mem=8192K

    ne.c:v1.10 9/23/94 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
    Last modified Nov 1, 2000 by Paul Gortmaker
    NE*000 ethercard probe at 0x300: 00 40 05 9e bd bf
    eth0: NE2000 found at 0x300, using IRQ 11.
    NE*000 ethercard probe at 0x320: 00 40 05 9e 8d ba
    eth1: NE2000 found at 0x320, using IRQ 15.

/etc/modutils/local.conf:
    # the Netgear EA-201 NE2k clone ISA ethernet adapter
    alias eth0 ne
    alias eth1 ne
    options ne io=0x300,0x320

You need to keep an MS-DOS boot disk handy so you can set the base IO
address and IRQ for the card.  Instead of using jumpers, these cards
use a programmable chip, and an MS-DOS program on the floppy that
comes in the box.  Just FYI, that utility attempts to be smart about
conflicts, so make sure you run it with the box the card will end up
in, or in a box that has the same set of used vs. unused IO/IRQ.  (my
router has no floppy, so I tried setting one of the cards in another
box that had other ISA cards and the utility wouldn't let me create a
"conflict")

-D

--
"GUIs normally make it simple to accomplish simple actions and
impossible to accomplish complex actions."

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/