Re: xserver in chroot with nvidia?

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 02:34:05PM -0500, Matt Price wrote:
> hi everyone,
>
> I run woody, and have  recently followed Colin's excellent
> instructions on howw to set up a sid chroot directory
> (http://people.debian.org/~walters/chroot.html).

Sounds like the Ambigous Colin (W.) Conspiracy has found another victim
:)

> I'm trying to get X
> to start up from chroot, and keep getting a "no screens found" error,
> accompanied by "can't load module "nvidia" -- module not found").
> These are errors I remember from my initial installation of debian,
> before I installed the nvidia drivers (which, unfortunately, I requrie
> in order to make my graphics card work at all).
>
> At present I have no kernel installed in the chroot directory.  I had
> thought that, since I really only wnat to chroot into it, I would
> always be using the kernel from my main installation; and that
> therefore the location of modules, etc., would still make sense to the
> chroot installation.

Yep, unless you start using theings like User-Mode Linux (which is hella
cool, btw).

> Now that appears not to be the case.  Does anyone know how to fix
> this?  For instance, can I somehow tell chroot that it needs to look
> back in the main installation for modules? or wouldi t help if I
> installed the kernel form my main installation in the chroot/boot
> directory, and recompiled the nvidia modules?

Presumably you can still see it in a 'lsmod' from within the chroot?
Have you created the /dev/nv* devices?  Do they have reasonable
permissions?

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>				http://ertius.org/