Re: maildir vs. mbox vs. mh ???

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 03:48:00PM +0800, Isaac To wrote:
> For me, each mail has two copies.  I regularly read one of them, the
> "regular" copy, which is stored as maildir.  I use spamassissin to scan for
> junk, let Gnus throw mails away without too much care, etc., so that I can
> control the number of files for storing mails (currently around 2000).  To
> minimize the wastage on filesystem space, I use reiserfs on my mail
> partition, although an ext3 partition with tail files enabled should have
> similar effect.

This leads to an important point: some FS's do not handle huge
directories well.  My d-u folder currently has ~5000 messages in it;
ext2 gets very, very, very slow above about 4000.  I've switched to XFS
for everything, so I don't mind too much, but just be aware of this.
I think newer ext impltementations (2.5 at least, possibly 2.4.20 as
well) have much better huge directory handling.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>				http://ertius.org/