Re: editing a text file in a tar.gz file without decompressing

> * Calber Chainy <chainy@infonegocio.com> [2003-02-08 12:54]:
> >Mmmm, I cannot find [Jedit] in my sources, is it a command line program?
>
> No, it's an editor written in Java. I don't know whether there is a
> debian package available.
>

> Thorsten

Well I was _going_ to say that you have to download this thingy.bin
installer from http://www.jedit.org, and make it executable and run it
and you can't tell what it does except the program gets installed to
/usr/share.

But then I looked on source forge and saw that there's a
.deb for it. Now I get to reinstall and pray that somehow it likes my
1.4.1 Java installation that dpkg is entirely ignorant of...

I've been learning emacs (gone to far to go back to vi at this point)
and kind of sneering at all-in-one IDE's, but Jedit is worth a
look. Auto-formats nicely, prints nicely (better than emacs, IMO),
sophisticated plugin manager (you'll want a fast internet connection
to use it) with mature content, and several options for compiling. The
one I use is just a console window that runs my regular javac, but
preformats the command line for me with all the options that you
aren't using now because it would be too tedious to type.

Haven't found a workable debugging module yet, but someone will write
one soon, this project clearly has a comitted & savvy crew behind it.

Enjoy, PM
--
Paul Mackinney
paul@mackinney.net