Printer Problem - An Insane Solution

Problem: Epson Stylus Color 860 on usb to work with kde using cupsys and kdelibs3-cups and also to work from a terminal. If web intstallation is used (localhost:631) and the recommended driver from linuxprinting (Stylus_Color_860-gimp-print-cups.ppd) the printer works beautifully from kde BUT - the printer does NOT WORK from a termial.

Solution: Install the printer under a differnet name from the terminal - e.g.

lpadmin -p ep -E -v usb:/dev/usblp0 -m Stylus_Color_860-gimp-print-cups.ppd

then run escputil -i -u -r /dev/usblp0  and lpadmin -d ep

Result: Checked with the web installer, the new printer appears a Local Raw Printer. It will print from a terminal command - e.g. lp printtest whre printtest is a simply ASCII file and, since I have defined it as the default printer, it will print from mutt.

The other printer definition created from the Web interface continues to exist and can be used to print documents from kde.

This will not be a happy solution if I ever succeed in getting this computer connected to our in-house wireless network but so far I have had little success with that.

PS. I was going to call this a cock-a-manie (sp?) solution but I can't find the word in any of our dictionaries. Anyone know a correct spelling and dictionary entry?