Re: sndfile.pc ?

On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 02:59:16PM -0500, James Hughes wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 06:38:08PM +1100, Rob Weir wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 10:07:21PM -0500, stan wrote:
> > > Sigh, I'm still fighting the battle of trying to compile Ardour (why hasn't
> > > someone done a deb of this).
> > >
> > > In any case, I manged to get autogen.sh to run, only to have configure fail
> > > looking for a file called sndfile.pc. It seems to be searching for this
> > > with /usr/bin/pkg-config.
> > >
> > > Anyone habe any clues on this?
>
> Hi, I'm trying to build ardour as well on sid. I'm having some luck
> just doing 'apt-cache search' on all the stuff that configure barfs
> on, eg:
>
> apt-cache search sndfile
> libsndfile0 - Library for reading/writing audio files
> libsndfile0-dev - Library for reading/writing audio files
> libsndfile1 - Library for reading/writing audio files
> libsndfile1-dev - Library for reading/writing audio files
> sndfile-programs - Sample programs that use libsndfile
>
> libsndfile1-dev did the trick I think. However, that won't be the end
> of your problems. Currently configure is looking for a file named
> ladspa.h, which is in the ladspa-sdk package; however the package
> description says,
> 'Please build-depend on this package if you need ladspa.h'
>
> Can someone give me a quick run-down on how to do this?

Are you building a Debian package of ardour?  Otherwise, you don't need
to worry about that note at all...

If you do care...Each Debian package (should) include a line in it's
control file (which then goes into the Packages file, and is available
to both apt-cache and dpkg) called Build-Depends.  It just lists the
packages that you are required to have installed for that package to
compile properly.  This is extraordinarily important for Debian, since
binary packages are automatically built by the buildds from source; they
have no (simple) way to figure out which header file packages and such
to install.  If you're just building packages yourself, they enable
things like 'apt-get build-dep package;apt-get -b source package' to do
their magic.  So, in short, if you're building a Debian package, go read
the New Maintainers guide for more detail, otherwise, you've just wasted
2 minutes reading this little explanation :)

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>				http://ertius.org/