RE: Mixed platform network

----Original Message-----
From: bda [mailto:bda@mirrorshades.net]
Sent: Sunday, February 09, 2003 9:45 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Mixed platform network

On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 09:05:29PM -0500, David Turetsky wrote:
> Are there packages available to support a LAN between a Windows XP
> Professional gateway to the Internet and a debian woody system?

Perhaps you should tell us exactly what it is you want to do.

> I understand that Samba has some of these characteristics but I have
not
> found anything to suggest capabilities beyond printer and file sharing

Samba also does authentication, but that's essentially correct.
--

Right now, when I run totally under a Windows XP Professional
environment, I have a Dell notebook which is the internet gateway, and

I would like to sustain that kind of capability even if I take down the
Windows platform on the desktop (linux is not currently installed on the
notebook, but I am vaguely musing about the idea of a second drive for
the notebook and installing debian linux 3.0 on that as well), and come
up on the desktop in linux/gdm, etc

I am watching the stock market and have accounts open on proprietary
Windows browsers from Fidelity and others and download market data again
using proprietary Windows-based browsers, and sometimes run graphical
applications such as Photoshop, Quark and others, so I don't
particularly see myself entirely cutting the umbilical with Windows...
in any event, even if I wished to do so, it would have to be stretched
out over time

Having finally gotten a stable debian distribution (woody) which
supports my nvidia graphics card, I am now building up my linux
resources and bringing myself up to speed. It would be nice if I could
run Mozilla and other such under linux on the desktop while I maintain
my internet connection using the notebook gateway

I suppose a simple workaround would be to use two separate phone lines,
and indeed I just bought a new modem for the desktop where linux is
installed (previously I had a modem I scavenged from my old Gateway, but
with the slots on the motherboard otherwise filled, the reversed bracket
that Gateway used can no longer be accommodated). Such an arrangement of
course wouldn't support dynamic file/printer sharing. My limited reading
of Samba is that IT wants to be the server, so that would pose a
different problem for me unless I did indeed install linux on the
notebook

--
David

--