Re: gpg key in memory

Quoting Benedict Verheyen <linux4bene@pandora.be>:
> Hi,
>
> is it possible (like with ssh) to have gpg ony ask you your passphrase
> once and then remember it for the duration of a session?
> This would be handy if one is writing a lot of emails and you don't want
> to bother every single time to type your passphrase.
> I chose quit a long and difficult passphrase and it isn't fun to type
> it over and over again when i want to encrypt or sign an email.
>
> Any sollution to this other than chosing a simpler and shorter
> passphrase?

Look at ssh-agent and ssh-add.

eval `ssh-agent`
ssh-add

Note back-quotes.  This will start up persistent ssh-agent process.
ssh-add will prompt for passphrase and add key.  You need to kill
ssh-agent manually, it will outlast session, IIRC.  There is a way to
have ssh-agent start a new sub-shell and terminate when sub-shell
exits.  You can add other keys besides default (RSA key in ~/.ssh) by
file name.

HTH,
  Jeffrey