Re: requesting help on ATI driver install problems

On Sunday 09 February 2003 01:06 pm, Virginia Escuder wrote:
> Hello,
> The attached text file is the output from the XF86Config-4 utility.
> We have the Card called: ATI Tech INc. Rage 128 Pro TF and this one seems
> not to be in the the list attempted by the installation (in the text).
> Monitor is a ViewSonic E70.

I've had problems with an ATI card (a Radeon), but not the same type of card.

> The bill description of the card is  "SVGA ATI XPERT 2000 32Mb MPEGII HAR".
> Under Windows, our system configuration lists the card with the following
> data:
> Device: Rage Fury Pro/Xpert 2000 Pro (Español)
> Resources:
> IRQ: 11
> I/O 03B0h-03BBh
> I/O 03C0h-03DFh
> I/O D800h-D8FFh
>
> Mem: 000A0000h - 000AFFFFh
> Mem: 000B0000h - 000BFFFFh
> Mem: F0000000h - F3FFFFFFh
> Mem: FF9FC000h - FF9FFFFFh
> Mem: 000C0000h - 000CBFFFh
> Mem: FF900000h - FF91FFFFh
>
> I would appreciate any help. My e-mail is holavec@yahoo.es
> Thank you in advance
> Vicky

I'm not an expert, but I can tell you I had similar problems getting my Radeon
to work (I still can't get the video device working with Xawtv).  I found I
had to move to X 4.2 to get it to work.  You can do this if you use X from
the Testing branch instead of from Stable/Woody.  If you don't want to get
involved with Testing, there are unoffical debs out there for 4.2 for Woody.
The URL someone gave me for this is:

http://people.debian.org/~blade/woody/

I think that page also has instructions for adding that site as a source for
apt-get.  I found I had to remove the x-common and x-server packages
(basically everything X) from my box, then re-install w/ version 4.2.  Once I
did that, it worked fine.

You might try something similar.  Some cards were not properly supported in X
4.1.

Hope this helps!

Hal