Re: Next release schedule (was: Re: gnome 1.4 or gnome 2 ??)

On Sun, 2003-02-09 at 02:48, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 11:51:59AM -0500, Mark L. Kahnt wrote:

[***SNIPILISATIONS!!!***]

> > and yet Woody is now the base selection. Offhand, I'd suggest
> > that if a release comes out with debian-installer, it would be 4.0,
> > simply for the major change in the nature of the user interaction with a
> > stable system.
>
> Heh, there was rather large flamewar about this very topic on d-d in the
> past couple of weeks.
>
> -rob

Being someone that follows the links DWN provides to the various
discussions mentioned on d-d, I am prone to wonder at times what doesn't
inspire a flamewar.

Maybe to end the point release debate, given the lead time that goes
into each new release and the ensured changes to such a wide base of
packages in that time frame, it would make sense to abandon the concept
of point releases, and all new releases should be a natural number. Yes,
we wouldn't see an automatic flag of a some *very significant change* in
the structure of Linux or some key involved packages (such as GLibC,
XFree86, Gnome and KDE, which now seem to be the flags other
distributions might use,) but we would probably see our release numbers
keep pace with the commercial releases. Just idle speculation on my part
- I don't wish to dive into d-d flamewars after my years on nanau.

All that said, if we are moving to Debian Installer, and more than one
o/s is ready to go at that point (say, one of the BSDs,) it might make
more sense to release as something like "Debian <Freaky Cool Installer
Name> 1 (<o/s>)" or alternately (given that Debian is unlikely to
regularly have multiple full freezes and releases a year for the
foreseeable future (which for me is the next 15 minutes,)) "Debian
<Freaky Cool Installer Name> <CE Year Number> (<o/s>)" - eg.

	Debian Super-Turbo-System-Creator 2004 (GNU/Linux)

which would move the emphasis to Debian's collective value contributions
to the various o/ses, with the potential "commoditisation" of the
underlying kernels relative to The Debian Project (the days of
GNU/Linux, GNU/Hurd, dunno if it would be GNU/FreeBSD or just FreeBSD
and same with NetBSD, GNU/Darwin, GNU/WinFree, GNU/OpenSourcedUnix.)
That would play to the fact that we already tend to refer to things not
by these numbers, but by the related Toy Story characters, and relate to
how the packages of a release are a Debian certified stable pool of
solid, working, dependency met systems that from which solid computer
systems that Debian is proud to have its name connected to can be built.

Yeah, it is all wishful thinking, but sometimes you've gotta do it
(think, and maybe wish, too.)
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org