Re: broken dependencies after trying to get amaya compiling

On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 01:19:23PM -0800, Joris Huizer wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I had a look around via google but this is a rather
> specific prob so that's probably why I don't find
> anything relevant on it.
>
> I made some stupid mistake - instead of trying apt-get
> I installed packages from debian directly from the
> internet.
>
> It's because they say I need libglib1.2 - which didn't
> seem to be present - and now the stuff is not well.
> This is the apt-get message:
>

> You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct
> these.
> Sorry, but the following packages have unmet
> dependencies:
>   libc6: Depends: libdb1-compat but it is not
> installable
>   libc6-dev: Depends: libc6 (= 2.2.5-11.2) but
> 2.3.1-10 is installed
>   locales: Depends: glibc-2.2.5-11.2
> E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.
>
> (Where apt-get -f install states it wants to remove
> most of the system or something)
>
> How can I make apt-get install the libc6 2.2.5-11.2 -
> which is a downgrade ? whe I say apt-get install libc6
> the prog says it's allready the newest version ...

Oh, yuck, you've managed to pull in the libc from sid.  Do be a lot more
careful in future :)

To fix it:  first, install sash and busybox-static.  You're about to
mess with your C library, which could potentially break every
dynamically linked program on your system.

Then, go download whatever version of libc6 packages.debian.org says
your version of Debian should have.  Then go read the article on
debianplanet.org about downgrading.  It involves some pinning fun, but
it should be able to get your system back to woody or sarge or whatever.
Then reinstall the correct libc that you downloaded earlier.

You really have to know what you're doing when messing with mixed
systems; just because apt makes it so easy, doesn't mean you can afford
to ignore the issues it causes.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>				http://ertius.org/