Deb3.0 - Enabling NAT in kernel?

I'm trying to set up a laptop as a NAT router for a small
home network, sharing our crappy 33.6kbps dialup connection
among several machines. (I hate having to disconnect so
someone else can use the phone line.)

I am aware that it'd probably be simpler to just go and buy
a Linksys home network router, but I've already stuck $100
into this so I might as well keep trying.

I'm using an old Toshiba 200CDS laptop with 48 megs of RAM
and a 4 gig HD. (I'm using a laptop specifcally so this
router will run silently with no buzzing fans.)

So far I've got the 100mbit PC-Card working and seeing the
other machines on the network, and ppp can dial out in
demand mode, but the next steps seem very vague. I don't
know what I'm supposed to do to make NAT function.

There's something in dselect called "ipmasq", but it does
not work. It seems to install fine, but when it runs I get
an error that says "IP masquerade not enabled in the kernel"
which is odd because I thought that was supposed to be
automatically available in newer kernels.

I've been doing a variety of web searches, trying to figure
out how to turn on NAT support, but I am not finding
anything specific to Debian 3.0 that explains the process.
For example, a Google search on "IP masquerade not enabled
in the kernel" turns up absolutely nothing.

What am I supposed to be doing next to make it work?