Re: shuttle disaster

On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 03:43:46AM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> Ya know, I've always wondered why Hitler declared war on us.  We never
> did anything to him.  He was fighting the Godless Communists, and a
> significant minority of Americans were anti-Semitic...  The usual reason
> is that we declared war on Japan.  Well, heck.  He ignored treaties
> before.  Why not ignore the Axis Treaty?  It would have kept us out of
> the war long enough to starve England.  Then he could have easily
> conquored it.
>
> But, of course, he was insane.  Otherwise, why invade Russia?

He was pissed off with America for not being neutral enough, ie.
helping Britain with supplies etc. but not giving equal - or any -
help to Germany. Even before Pearl Harbor, it was very obvious whose
side America was on, even if they weren't actually fighting. In
Alistair Cooke's words "America was very nearly a secret belligerent,
and Hitler knew it."

Pigeon