Re: [OT] Re: shuttle disaster (Socrates)

On Friday 07 February 2003 17:19, Rich Rudnick wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-02-07 at 10:29, Daniel Barclay wrote:
> > Mike M wrote:
> > > Socrates was stagnant and resting on his society's laurels?  Good
> > > teaching inspires creativity.
> >
> > I didn't say Socrates was stagnant.
>
> Truly off topic, but Socrates is not the best example of good teaching,
> unless you admire what his pupils created:

How many teachers have a pedagogical method named after them?
http://www.garlikov.com/Soc_Meth.html.  Content is often hotly debated.
Notably, creation versus evolution.  I saw Sarah Chang perform on television.
She was amazing.  Because of this thread I think about her teachers.  Without
this thread I would not have given them any notice at all. In America, we
say, "Those who can, do. Those that can't, teach."  It is this poor notion
that Lee Iacocca's statement counters.  I submit for consideration, "Those
that can't teach, do.  Those that do, can't teach."

Debian user list is a teacher. (It's a stretch but ithe thread is technically
on topic now :-).

--
Mike M.