Re: shuttle disaster

Nathan E Norman <nnorman@incanus.net> writes:

> On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 09:22:33AM -0600, DvB wrote:
> > Nathan E Norman <nnorman@incanus.net> writes:

> > > Yeah, after all it's not their money .. they just worked hard to earn
> > > it.
> > >

> > You don't "work hard" for stock dividends. You just put your money in
> > stocks and they come all by themselves... although I guess I did word
> > that a little strangely.
>
> Did the stocks buy themselves?  Where'd that money come from?  "Just
> put your money in stocks" is oversimplifying the issue a bit, don't
> you think?

And you think that clicking a few buttons on e-trade or calling
Vanguard's tolls free number and filling out a form entitles people to
tax-free income? Not any more than any other form of work (assuming the
above qualifies as work) does.

> I find it deliciously ironic that so many people use the Internet to
> complain about the "evils" of capitalism and the United States of
> America.

I think I have a right to complain about my own country and how my tax
dollars are used. Or, in this case, what millionaires get tax cuts
instead of me (even if my stock investments were in taxable accounts
rather than tax deferred, the tax savings from untaxed dividend income
would be negligible).

A better way to "lower taxes for all Americans" would be to increase the
amount of income that's taxed at the lowest level (currently the first
$10,000 are taxed at 10%, IIRC).