Re: [OT] SpamCop.net

Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org> writes:

> On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 09:57:40AM -0600, DvB wrote:
> > The biggest problem with spamcop, and reporting spam in general, IMO,
> > is that you have to open the message in order to do so. Many spammers
> > nowdays have little notification mechanisms embedded in the HTML of
> > their messages which sends an ack to the spammer that your address is
> > valid and you do indeed "read your spam." This, in turn, brings more
> > spam to your address.
>
> Most mail clients out there have fixed this bug, or never had it to
> begin with.  If your mailer still parses HTML, you should either
> switch to a different mailer or file a bug report with your vender,
> this is a privacy issue.

Kind of hard when your ISP is Yahoo! and you're not willing to pay for
their pop server :-) And, yes, I've written their support people and
requested being able to view messages w/o HTML. This, of course, seems
kind of silly when your mail client is a web browser.

See also my comment (which you snipped) about how this is only a
problem if you have this feature enabled in your mail client.