Re: shuttle disaster

Gary Turner <kk5st@sbcglobal.net> writes:

> DvB wrote:
>
> >Nathan E Norman <nnorman@incanus.net> writes:
> <snip>
> >> Yeah, after all it's not their money .. they just worked hard to earn
> >> it.
> >>

> >You don't "work hard" for stock dividends. You just put your money in
> >stocks and they come all by themselves... although I guess I did word
> >that a little strangely.
>
> Where the hell do you think the money came from?

Dividends, also called "profit sharing," are monies payed to investors
by companies as encourangement for current investors to continue to put
their money in the aforementioned companies and to attract new
investors.

> If an investor can't expect a return, why should he put himself at
> risk?

Since when has the taxation of dividends robbed you of a return on your
investment?
Following that argument. If I don't get a return from my work (in the
form of an untaxed salary), why should I make an effort to earn a
living?

> What kind of idiot was your economics prof?

More of an idiot than your fuzzy math prof, apparently.