Re: DSL connecting using a USB modem

On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 03:51:17PM +1100, Sam Varghese wrote:
| On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 06:07:03PM -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson spake thus:
| > On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 08:11:51AM +1100, Sam Varghese wrote:
| > | i've been trying to find some app which would let me connect to the net
| > | with an usb dsl modem and have drawn a blank.
| > |
| > | would anyone on the list know of any app that can be used?
| >
| > You don't need an "app", you need a device driver.  That's the beauty
| > of layers.  If the USB modem is a linksys usb<->ethernet adapter try
| > the "pegasus" kernel module.  Otherwise investigate the hardware and
| > determine which driver is applicable to it.
|
| thanks, but i wasn't asking about device drivers - i know that bit.
| i mean what would you use to set up the connection - like you use
| ppoeconf to set up a link when you're using an ethernet dsl modem?

For my DSL setup I just use DHCP (on ethernet).  No PPPoE here.  The
computers don't even know DSL is involved -- that is handled entirely
by the Cisco 677 ethernet<->dsl bridge my ISP provided.  What hardware
do you have and what infrastructure does your ISP provide?

-D

--
Even youths grow tired and weary,
    and young men stumble and fall;