Re: Resync'ing SW RAID1

Nicos Gollan said:
> Hi all...
>
> I just started building a software RAID1 array on two IDE disks. Now I'm a
>  little unsure whether it's running like it should. Looking at
> /proc/mdstat,  I'm shown a speed of about 275K/sec and an estimated
> remaining time somewhat  short of 70(!!) hours. Is this normal?
> /proc/ide/via says that the disks are  using UDMA33, hdparm happily agrees
> but I've still got a load of 3.00.

how big is the array? I have dual WD 100GB drives(8MB cache each) on
software raid 1 connected to a promise PCI ATA/100 controller and to
synch the array(linux 2.2.19 w/raid 0.90) it takes about an hour.

275kB/s seems a bit slow, what kind of disks are they? maybe you should
get a better IDE controller for faster performance.

the fastest sync I've seen is on one of my ultra2 scsi systems, with
raid 1 it runs at a sustained 22-24Mbytes/s!

load of 3 doesn't sound too unusual, I would probably expect at least
a load of 2.

nate