Re: is wine worth the bytes ?

> >I have this question: I think I might install wine (to
> >play some MS only games and stuff). However, a friend
> >told me it probably has too little support as it's
> >still experimental
> >
> >What are you're thoughts on this ?

A surprising amount of stuff will work with stock wine from CVS.A lot
that won't will work with Codeweavers' CrossOver wine or Transgaming's
WineX.

Codeweavers have a product called 'Crossover Office' which has the
specific purpose of running MS Office and the like.  There is also a
Crossover plugin for mozilla/netscape on linux/unix x86 that will make
most browser plugins work (including word/excel viewer, etc..).

TransGaming's WineX is probably what you want, it is designed with the
express purpose of providing complete or near complete DirectX support.

Both products have trial versions and are forked from the wine CVS
tree.  I beleive both give back code, though CodeWeavers is a bit better
about it.  You can get basic funcitonality from both for around $25,
including support.

> It's been my experience that you just don't know if your Windows app
> will work on WINE until you try it; some do; some don't; some sortta do.
>
> If you've got the horsepower and can afford the expense for a license,
> VMWare is sweet.

VMWare can be nice, and has been known to perform reasonably well with
some games, but it has no video acceleration and in many situations is
slower.  It is also much more expensive than buying both of the
codeweavers products and a WineX subscription.  None of these options
are completely free.  There is a debian Plex86 and bochs package, but
they are problematic and I've had trouble getting them to work.

-Justin